I began this post on August 10, 2008, where I had recently posted a few items regarding cleaning: general house cleaning and whiter laundry. It seems that quite a few people are trying to find ways to make their whites whiter. As I look at the search terms, I noticed that often the search is ‘how do I make my whites whiter laundry’. The same old question that maybe has been plaguing our civilization for centuries continues to plague us now. How do we keep clothes looking good? For some people, tipping the balance into an eco-friendly home routine is pretty easy but for others hanging onto these old standbys like bleach is difficult to let go. Even in natural cleaning books, many suggest using bleach to kill germs and make whites whiter.
Remember a few things when considering bleach.
- It is an acid, a very caustic acid and a poison.
- It eats at clothing (and other things) a lot faster than alternatives like vinegar.
- Vinegar we eat and is much safer for children and pets.
My original intention with this post was to summarize some scientific studies that displayed the horrors of bleach. Time, life, and lack of information in my searches made my original goal change. Now, I just want the post out of my draft folder! When this topic again interests me… hopefully it will be grand.
- How to Keep You Home Clean and Green with Simran Sethi (womenofgreen.com)
- Chlorine Bleach: Magic or Evil (greenandcleanmom.org)