Last year we saw tips on how to budget shop like a pro. In light of recent economic trends, when people have a more immediate need to watch their spending, let’s try any number of these alternatives on Black Friday while we switch the paradigm to Buy Nothing Day.
- Don’t go shopping, for anything
- Stay at home, relax
- Play with your kids, spouse/partner, friends
- Play board games
- Call up that friend you’ve been meaning to call during the holiday season now
- Make cookies, decorate with your family
- Enjoy hot cider
- Sit by a fire
- Sing carols
- Volunteer (soup kitchens, your favorite organization, neighborhood groups, churches, schools)
- Make Christmas wreaths with your friends
- Make Christmas cards and ornaments
- Decorate your Christmas Tree in a timely (not early) fashion with said homemade ornaments
Let’s use this year’s economic cautions as a reminder for what really counts at the holidays: Loved Ones, not Stuff.