Introduction to Episode
Have you had a candid conversation recently? Do you have a safe space to go when you need to have those candid conversations? Shawanda Randolph is the director and founder of DeeCilla Center in Arizona, and she’s found holding space for candid conversations is a key to healing our world. DeeCilla, a small community based nonprofit, offers a sanctuary for people who are building a new life, leaving abuse. Their transitional program teaches participants how to stand and live, giving them the necessary tools to rebuild on solid ground.
Podcast Episode Summary
During this global pandemic, we know that it’s difficult for people who are suffering from abuse, they don’t have the breaks from the abuse they used to, and they might not have the space to call for help.
In some ways, this global pandemic is showing us where we can offer support to the people we care about. Shawanda and I discussed signs of abuse, misconceptions of what abuse is and who it affects, and different ways we can work to build a more healed world.
Signs for abuse
- Jealousy that leads to control
- Types of control
Support for DeeCilla
- Donate – $25/month goes a LONG way!
DeeCilla is creating a place of refuge for people all over the country. Arizona is actually a spot where a lot of people move to, so it proves a little easier to blend in and start over in a safe space outside of the potential norms of abusive situations.
- “[You are] providing a place for healing for the moment.”
- “[Ask,] whats the one thing that’s keeping you from reaching your goal?”
- “Know yourself, be true to yourself before you build relationships with others.”
- A One Year Reflection after the death of my sister, Cristi: https://michellelasley.com/2020/09/one-year/
- Domestic Violence Awareness Project: https://www.dvawareness.org/about-dv
- The DeeCilla Comfort Center: https://www.deecillacenter.org
For more information about Michelle, Balance Shared, events, and projects, please visit www.michellelasley.com.
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/balanceshared/support