Introduction to Episode
Brad Long works to inspire people in realizing financial independence. He wagers that if more people were realizing financial independence we’d have happier more contented people giving back.
Podcast Episode Summary
I started this episode with some wisdom from a communication professor I had at Michigan State University. He said before any couple gets married, they should talk about four things, which are sex, religion, family, and money. Brad Long, a financial coach, came on to talk about the latter.
Brad has a mission to teach the world to
- organize their finances,
- get on a written budget,
- get out of debt, and
- move on to financial independence.
We discussed how 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, and it doesn’t matter their paycheck size.
Brad wants more people realizing financial independence, which will positively affect their happiness and contentment and give them space to give more. He works to support one person, one family at a time. When he works with clients, he is looking for progress, not perfection. He teaches his clients that every penny has a job.
“We as a culture have overextended ourselves.”
“Everything in our society has become so luxurious. It’s no longer keeping up with the Jones’. It’s now keeping up with hyper luxury.”
Quoting Paula Pant, “You can afford anything, but you can’t afford everything.”
A question not asked enough, “Can I afford it?”
“What would it feel like if you knew you were good [with spending to your budget]?”
Stats on Money
Juliet Schor, The Overspent American
- YouTube Documentary: https://youtu.be/YdaQnGgWoPg
- Book: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-overspent-american-why-we-want-what-we-dont-need_juliet-b-schor/250982/item/758616/?mkwid=%7cdc&pcrid=450665973549&pkw=&pmt=&slid=&plc=&pgrid=110661787651&ptaid=pla-1121313271112&gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wW7JjLlNEcq7Q1eeJePJReQ0zgZ-HxkzcxBYd87kaYX4CwxrvIbxlvBoCROUQAvD_BwE#idiq=758616&edition=2337415
Facebook Live with Brad: https://business.facebook.com/balanceshared/videos/303328487734196/
The Complete Financial Guide for Young Couples, by Larry Burkett: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/complete-financial-guide-for-young-couples-a-lifetime-approach-to-spending-saving-and-investing_larry-burkett/275874/#edition=2309371&idiq=421776
- See Brad’s work at zerodebtcoach.com.
- Find Brad on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/zerodebtcoaching/.
- And, check out his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdZE9tynhAgGd9cl_FE95A
For more information about Michelle, Balance Shared, events, and projects, please visit www.michellelasley.com.