Introduction to Episode
Further celebrations of the return of light. We began our light return celebrations with Yule, and we will continue with IMbolc.
Podcast Episode Summary
In this episode, I, Michelle Lasley, your host, pontificate about the merging of seasons. I review where we are on the wheel of the year and where we are going.
- Note, I align the “start” of the year with Aries Season or Ostera, the Astrological start of the year
- I argue Imbolc is both the end and a beginning
- Note other holidays with the same date: Ground Hog’s Day, Candlemas, and Brigid’s Day
A note on Candlemas
- Celebrates Jesus’ initial presentation
- When Jesus first enters the template, around age 12
- The purification of the Virgin Mary
Other traditions show the Green God goes through a similar trial, where he grows from boy to teen. The dawning corresponds with the maiden stage, or the young woman. Imbolc is one of three fertility festivals. And, since one aspect is purification, now is a great time for cleansing your home, your spring cleaning. Also, be sure to finish your reflections.
I offer some herb and oil supports.
- Sage: “The desire of sage is to render man immortal.” The root, salvere, is defined by being in good health.
- Rosemary: strengthens memory, purifies the air
- Mint: a symbol of hospitality
- Rue: clear sight and visioning, traditional anti-plague herb
- Lime: zest for life
- Peppermint: a buoyant heart
- Clary Sage: clarity and vision
- Thyme: releasing and forgiving
One day you look
the sun is brighter
the birds are louder
There is a lightness to the air
The wind has shifted
The buds are waking up and
they are showing their
The earth is shrugging off the
cold – Shrugging off its
chill winter coat
It is spring.
Imbolc last year: https://michellelasley.com/2020/02/how-do-you-celebrate-imbolc/
Bremness, Lesley. The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs. London, UK: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 1988.
Casey, Caroline W. Visionary Activist Astrology: Become a Secret Agent for Transformation. Sounds True, 2015. (skip to the chapter on the sun)
Emotions & Essential Oils: Your Guide to Process, Release, and Live Free. 8th ed. Enlighten Healing, LLC, 2019.
Lawless, Julie. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy and Herbalism. Element Books, 1995.
For more information about Michelle, Balance Shared, events, and projects, please visit www.michellelasley.com.