Introduction to Episode
She found herself processing grief through writing and she gave birth to so much more. In this interview Alexa Bigwarfe shares how she found the Women in Publishing Summit, and how she gives back to grieving mothers.
Podcast Episode Summary
Alexa Bigwarfe is a writer, a publisher, a teacher, a producer, a wife, and a mother. And, she is a grieving mother. Our conversation leapt over many things, from how she got into writing, how she taught others to publish, how she carved a niche for womxn, how she worked through her money story, and how she gives back.
Our conversation started with various topics that are covered during Alexa’s Women in Publishing Summit. Topics include: true stories, challenges, extra roles women play, mindset, self-doubt, imposter syndrome, balancing all the roles, and many technical aspects like choosing the right cover art.
We then spent a good portion of our conversation talking about worth and the challenges that are mostly unique to women when it comes to valuing our work.
Finally, we discussed how Alexa turned to writing. It was a tool that helped her process the grief of the death of her daughter, Catherine, when Catherine passed away at two years old. Along with a book and a blog, she also gave birth to the non-profit, Sunshine After a Storm, which gives care packages to grieving mothers.
“[We t]ell important messages through our stories.”
“I can’t give if I don’t have the means to do it.”
- Profit First: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30780674-profit-first?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=DwaaMuDnXk&rank=1
- The Soul of Money: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/185526.The_Soul_of_Money?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=VVO7uG2m3j&rank=1
- Join the Women in Publishing Summit: https://womeninpublishingsummit.com.
- Check out Alexa’s work: http://writepublishsell.co.
- Visit the Sunshine After a Storm non-profit: https://sunshineafterthestorm.org.
For more information about Michelle, Balance Shared, events, and projects, please visit www.michellelasley.com.