Lacey Beaty shares with Michelle the importance of service, the loneliness in serving in the army. She discusses what it’s like to serve in politics with no young people, and certainly no moms. And, she expresses how she is actively working to change that landscape. Lacey is a mom with an active-duty military partner working to normalizing the process of women and mothers serving in politics. She also discusses systemic issues women face running for politics.
- “I knew one day I wouldn’t be a political spectator, I would get into policy.”
- “[Working moms] bring a different perspective to policymaking.”
- “Emerge gave me a network of other women who want to change the world.”
- “Every time a woman gets elected, it normalizes the process and makes it easier for another woman to run.”
- “I believe that people who work in our community deserve to thrive and live here too.”
- See Lacey’s platform and support her at www.beatyforbeaverton.com.
- Learn how to run your own campaign at Emerge Oregon (https://or.emergeamerica.org).
- Learn more about the City of Beaverton (https://www.beavertonoregon.gov)
- Check out the family support Family Forward Oregon (https://www.familyforwardaction.org) wants to create.