Someone close to me might be pregnant with her first child. I suddenly remember when I was pregnant with Levi and the hordes of advice came flooding in. I remember the choices we had to make, some we liked and some we didn’t. I remember many of the challenges and the hard decisions we still have to make. I think of the balance between the aforementioned previous values and reconciling them with new family needs.
So, I want to tell this person a few things:
- The best thing about advice is that you can pick and choose what you want to take.
- It’s okay to always, constantly, figure out your values. Just be honest.
- Your first priority is baby.
- Check in with your spouse/partner regularly – be on the same page in front of kiddo.
- Be flexible to change. It will happen more often than you can imagine.